Andaman and Nicobar Island, as we all know, is the only archipelago in India consisting of around 572 islands. These islands are home to numerous beaches. One of the most popular beaches is the Elephant beach.
History of Elephant Beach
Elephant beach in Andaman is one of the most popular and widely visited beaches by tourists. It is located at a remote corner of Havelock Island, which is accessible by both water and road from Havelock Dock. The beach has an interesting history behind its name. In ancient times, elephants were used to bring people to the beach due to the lack of transport facilities. This is why it got the name “Elephant Beach”. It has a rich and colorful underwater coral reef. What makes this beach popular among other beaches is the opportunity for visitors to indulge in water activities like scuba diving, snorkeling, sea walking, kayaking, etc.
Things to do in Elephant Beach
Some interesting and fun things to do in Elephant beach are as under:
- Bird watching : It is a popular activity indulged in by tourists. You can spot different species of migratory birds on the beach.
- Relaxing : This is also a great spot for just sitting and relaxing on the sparkling sand letting your body soak in the sunrays.
- Watching sunrise and sunset : People also visit the beach to witness the magical sunrise and sunset. You can visit the beach early in the morning to witness the sun coming up from the horizon. In the evening, after indulging in fun activities, relax and watch the sun going down.
- Photography : The picturesque beauty of the beach provides great options for photography. You can click some mesmerizing pictures on your phone or camera to cherish for a lifetime.
Adventurous Activities in Elephant Beach
The elephant beach provides a plethora of adventurous activities in the water for the adrenaline junkies. The rich coral reef vegetation of the sea makes your underwater experience worthwhile.
- Scuba Diving : It is a mode of water diving with an underwater breathing apparatus. The diver moves underwater with the help of attached fins on his feet.
- Snorkeling : Snorkeling is a type of swimming but with a diving mask, breathing tube, and swimfins. Unlike swimming, snorkeling is done deep underwater.
- Swimming : You can also indulge in swimming in the pristine water.
- Trekking : You can also indulge in an amazing trekking experience. There isa trekking trail of 2km from Radhanagar Beach to Elephant Beach. The whole trail is full of lush green forests.
- Kayaking : Kayaking is moving across the water on a Kayak. It is allowed through the water bodies amidst the dense mangrove forest of Havelock.
- Sea Walking : Sea walking allows you to walk on the seashore without getting underwater. This is great for non-swimmers. With a specially designed helmet and gear, you can dive little into the ocean without using bulky dive gear.
Nearby Attractions in Elephant Beach
There are three other beaches located near the Elephant beach. You should plan your schedule accordingly and try to visit the Radhanagar beach, Kalapathar beach, and Govind Nagar beach.
The Radhangar beach is located at a distance of around 2 km only, which is considered as one of the best beaches in Andaman. It has also won many awards and accolades for its unparalleled beauty. It can be reached on foot.
The Kalapathar beach is quite small and hence peaceful. If you want a little solitude away from the crowd, then you can pay a visit to this beach. But the beach is situated at a distance of 10 km, so you will need to take a public transport vehicle for the same.
Then there is the Govindnagar beach at a distance of around 8 km, which is yet another serene and peaceful beach.
Tips for visiting Elephant Beach
Some of the tips, which might come handy for visiting the beach are as under:
- Most mobile cellular networks do not work fine on the beach. However, Vodafone and Airtel networks are reported to work decently. Hence, make sure you carry one of these Sims in your phone.
- You will find basic first aid facilities on the beach. However, if you need any special medication, the same might be difficult to avail. You are advised to carry your own medicines with you.
- For eating, you can buy snacks from stalls and shafts on the beach. However, there are no proper restaurants. Restaurants are situated a little distance away from the beach. If you wish to eat on the beach, take your meal with you. But do not litter the place.
- The best timing is early in the morning to witness the sunrise. It opens at 7am and closes at 4pm. Plan your timing accordingly.
- Don’t forget to carry your sunscreens, glasses swimsuits, camera, and water bottle.
Best Time to Visit Elephant Beach
The best time to visit the beach is during winter from November to March. The cool and pleasant climate makes your visit worth your time. Summers are not very tolerable as the temperature reaches an extreme level. Monsoons remain from June to October and are not recommended because of high humidity. The beach also remains closed most of the time in Monsoon.
How to Reach Elephant Beach
To reach Elephant Beach in Havelock, one must first fly to Port Blair. If you travel via train, then catch a train to Chennai and travel to Port Blair by road.
By Boat : Ferries are available from Port Blair to Havelock Island. It takes about one and a half hours to cover the total distance of 70 km to Havelock. From Havelock Island, a number of boats sail to Elephant beach, which is situated at a distance of 20 minutes. These boats are available at regular intervals.
By Road : There is an alternate way of reaching the beach from the island by road. As it is situated at a mere distance of around a few minutes walk, a walk through the serene lush green vegetation is worthwhile.