Char Dham is one of the oldest pilgrimage site in India, which connects 4 Dhams or abodes.These four abodes are Badrinath,Dwarka, Puri Rameshwaram. people of Hindu religion believe to achieve salvation doing Char Dham yatra. Mini Char Dham includes Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, Badrinath.
Chardham Destination Chart
If anybody wants to visit Char Dham from any corner of the world they must come to a certain point and that is Rishikesh or Haridwar ( these two are the biggest and important towns of Uttarakhand ).
Northern Part of India
How to reach Haridwar from Delhi (Delhi NCR region)
Delhi is situated in the Northern part of India. Several transportation systems are available to reach Haridwar from Delhi or Delhi NCR region. Travellers don’t have to face problem while traveling as there are plenty of vehicles from Delhi or nearer region of Delhi to Haridwar.
Road: If anybody chooses to go by road then he can take direct buses from Delhi (Delhi ISBT) to Haridwar (Haridwar ISBT). Direct bus from Kashmere gate in Delhi to Haridwar/ Rishikesh/ Srinagar are available all the time.
The route is
Delhi- Ghaziabad- Meerut- Muzaffarnagar- Roorkee- Haridwar/ Rishikesh/ Srinagar.
Train: Direct railway connectivity is available from Delhi (Delhi railway station) to Haridwar. Haridwar/ Rishikesh railway station is the nearest railway station.
Air: Pilgrims from Delhi can avail airways service from Delhi Airport to Jolly Grant airport I’m Haridwar.
Know About - Story & Importance of Charan Paduka
Southern Part of India
How to reach Haridwar from Bengaluru
Bengaluru is in the Southern part of India.Bengaluru is 2321 km away from Haridwar. Direct bus, railway connectivity provide ease in travelling.
By bus: Pilgrims take direct bus from Bengaluru to Haridwar coverings the below mentioned stopages-Bengaluru- Hyderabad- Nagpur- Lakhnadon- Kanpur- Jhansi- Agra- Ghaziabad – Haridwar.
By flight: No airport is present in Haridwar. You first have to come to Dehradun Airport (DED) from Bengaluru Airport. It just takes 2- 3 hours.
By train: Railway connectivity is direct from Bengaluru railway station (Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna) to Haridwar railway station. Trains are easily available.
Bengaluru Rly stn- Meerut- Muzaffarnagar- Rapri- Roorkee- Haridwar Rly Stn.
Know About -
Eastern Part of India
How to Reach Haridwar from Kolkata
Kolkata is one the biggest city in Eastern part of India. So many pilgrims come for Chardham yatra each year.
Road:Route from Kolkata to Haridwar by road; Kolkata- Burdwan- Durgapur- Asansol- Aurangabad- Varanasi- Madariganj- Nababganj- Lucknow- Greater Noida- Meerut- Muzaffarnagar- Roorkee- Jwalapur- Haridwar.
Flight: No direct flight is available from Kolkata to Haridwar. But you can come to pantnagar Airport from Kolkata Airport in just 8- 9 hours and from there take some taxi or cab to reach Haridwar which is near about 210 km from
Train: Easy available trains from Kolkata- Howrah junction to Haridwar is one of the easiest route to reach Haridwar.
Kolkata- Howrah junction- Asansol junction- Patna Railway station Ara junction- Bexar junction- Varanasi junction railway station- Lucknow Bareilly Junction- Laksar junction- Haridwar railway station.
Western part of India
How to Reach Haridwar from Mumbai
It is a big city in western region of India (state: Maharashtra). Now it is also easy to access Haridwar from Mumbai also due to availability of transport.
Road:There is direct bus from Mumbai to Haridwar. Route by bus is: Mumbai- Nasik- Indore- Gwalior- Delhi- Haridwar.
Air: You can take flight from Mumbai Airport to nearest airport of Haridwar i.e. Jolly Grant airport or also can come to Delhi Airport first then from there head towards Dehradun Airport.
Train: Mumbai central railway station- Surat- Vadodara- Kota- Mathura- Faridabad- Ghaziabad- Meerut- Muzaffarnagar- Saharanpur- Roorkee- Haridwar. This is the direct route through railway.
Now after reaching Haridwar or Rishikesh you can avail the following available ways to reach your destination towards Chardham yatra.
Haridwar/ Rishikesh to Yamunotri
- Yamunotri is 262 km away from Haridwar (8- 9 hours). It is located 3292 m in Himalayas, North Uttarkashi of Uttarakhand. Taxi, cabs are reliable transport here. It is advised to follow the mentioned route to reach Yamunotri without any hazard: Haridwar- Rishikesh- Narendranagar- Chamba- Chinyaliasur- Dharasu band- Barkot- Jankichatti. Now from jankichatti there’s no vehicles are allowed. Trekking up to few kilometers will make you reach to Yamunotri.
- As air services are not available from Haridwar to Yamunotri exactly like Gangotri.
Haridwar/ Rishikesh to Gangotri
Gangotri is located at 3100 mtr altitude in Himalayas and near Northern part of Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. It is 288 km away from Haridwar.
- By Road: Gangotri is such a place where plenty of transportation system is not available. Bus and trains are available, though numbers are not very high thus taxi, cabs, jeeps are preferable. Bus at ISBT Gangotri is connected with several biggercities like Haridwar, Roorkee, Barkot, Hanumanchatti, Jankichatti, Kotdwar, Dehradun. Due to not having proper transport from Haridwar, pilgrims should divide their journey as mentioned below
- Haridwar- Rishikesh- Narendranagar- Tehri- Dharasu- Bend- Uttarkashi- Bhatwari- Gangnani- Harsil- Gangotri.
- By air service: No air services are available towards Gangotri. Tourists can come to Jolly Grant airport from their places but from there they have to take taxi or cabs for further journey.
Haridwar/ Rishikesh to Kedarnath
Kedarnath is Situated at about 11,755 ft. above the sea level in Himalayas in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. Total distance between Haridwar and Kedarnath is 252 km.
Bus:Number of direct busses are very less in comparison to passengers from Haridwar to Kedarnath. Limited bus timings are 5:15 am and 7:10 am. Thus it is recommended to reach Rishikesh first, as multiple buses are available from there.
Shareable jeeps: Shareable jeeps can provide you comfortable journey on the hilly roads. This is costly but you can explore places easily without any problem.
Taxi and cabs: You can hire taxi to cover 225 km from Haridwar to Gaurikund covering the places mentioned below;
Haridwar- Rishikesh- Devprayag- Srinagar- Agastamuni- Guptkashi- Sonprayag- Gaurikund.
Then the final 16 km have to be covered on foot only as no vehicles are allowed after that certain point.
- By Train: There is no such advantage of reaching Kedarnath directly from Haridwar by train. Rishikesh which is almost 24km from Haridwar is the nearest railway station, 229 km away from Kedarnath temple.
- By air service
Jolly Grant airport, the nearest airport on Rishikesh road situated at a distance of 239 km from Kedarnath. Any domestic flights, choppers and helicopters are available airport.
Haridwar/ Rishikesh to Badrinath
Bus:There are several buses available to reach Badrinath from Rishikesh. You can take any state or private bus as per your convenience. But the only problem is you will not get any direct bus all the way from Haridwar to Badrinath. So you will have to break your journey in the following mentioned stoppages:
Haridwar- Rishikesh- Deoprayag- Kirtinagar- Srinagar- Rudraprayag- Gauchar- Karnaprayag- Nandprayag- Chamoli- Birahi- Pipalkoti- Garur Ganga- Helang- Joshimath- Vishnuprayag- Govindghat- Pandukeshwar- Hanumanchatti- Badrinath.
Taxi and cabs: Taxi, cabs are also available. Shareable jeeps are very common and time saving transport system to reach Badrinath. And it will also provide you hectic free journey.
- By Railway: If any pilgrim chooses to travel by train, he/ she needs to Come to the nearest railway station, Ramnagar railway station Which is at a distance of 154 kilometeror another railway station is Kotdwar, which is at 146 km. You can experience the railway connection of Haridwar to Badrinath. Distance between these two is almost 315 km.
- By Air: To avoid train or road journey you can take the advantage of flight services. Jolly Grant airport is the nearest airport in Rishikesh, you can take flight/ helicopter from here to reach Badrinath. It is 317 km away from Badrinath.
You Must Also Read - A Complete Travel Guide to Badrinath Dham
Kedarnath to Badrinath
Distance between Kedarnath and Badrinath is 220 km. You can not reach directly from Kedarnath to Badrinath, but you have to split your journey. After reaching Kedarnath from Rishikesh/ Haridwar you have to come back to Sonprayag or Guptkashi. 16 km trek towards Kedarnath from Gaurikund is mandatory as there is no other option except trekking on those hilly road.Pilgrims also can take helicopter service instead of trekking.
By road: Due to not having direct bus from Kedarnath to Badrinath, pilgrims first have to reach Gaurikund. From there take any cab , come to Sonprayag bus stand. From here you can get direct bus for Badrinath. There are two bus routes.
- Sonprayag- Phat- Guptkashi- Kund- Ukhimath- Chopta- Gopeshwar- Chamoli- Pipalkoti- Joshimath- Govind ghat- Badrinath
- Sonprayag- Phata- Guptkashi- Kund-Chandrapuri- Agustamuni- Tilwada- Rudraprayag- Gochar- Karnaprayag- Chamoli- Pipalkoti- Joshimath- Govindghat- Badrinath.
Second route is the most preferred route as it is less hilly and condition of the road is comparatively better than the first one.
By Airways: Helipad is at Guptkashi, Phata or at Sirsi. You can take helicopter service to travel from Kedarnath to Badrinath to avoid hilly road trip.