Bharatpur in Rajasthan is a major tourist destination. This city is known as the Eastern Gateway to Rajasthan and primarily known for the nearby Keoladeo National Park which is a major wildlife and bird sanctuary in this region. Bharatpur is on the tourist trail and tourist from different parts of India and from countries all over the world visit Bharatpur as it is slowly becoming a major tourist destination.
Bharatpur is not just about aviary attractions. You can find the land to be infused with culture. Thanks to the culture, the cuisine of the land has a heritage touch to it. Here is what you need to know about the cuisine of the land, before you reach Bharatpur. We are listing the top foods to try in the place and top-notch restaurants to visit in Bharatpur.
Famous Foods in Bharatpur
Rajasthani cuisine has influences of the Rajput history of the region, the overall cuisine of Northern India and Pakistan and the cuisine has developed a unique style which has become popular all over India. Rajasthani cuisine includes vegetarian and non- vegetarian food as game meat is very popular in this cuisine and many types of vegetables unique to this region are popular in this cuisine.
- Chicken Tikka - Chicken is marinated in yogurt based sauce and grilled
- Panner Tikka - Cottage cheese is marinated and grilled in tawa or griddle.
- Afghani Chicken - Grilled chicken dish made with cashew paste and other spices
- Mango Soufflé - Mango puree based custard served with mango pieces and other toppings.
- Kachori - Donut styled pastry stuffed with cottage cheese, potato, onion or other spice mixture. You can also find sweet kachoris made with condensed milk, nuts and saffron. It is then, dipped in warm sugar syrup, right before serving.
- Rajasthani Thali - A combo of all Rajasthani dishes served in small quantity
- Aalu Sabzi - Boiled potato served in spicy gravy with unique flavors
- Rabri - Milk based delicacy made with condensed milk, nuts and sugar. The savory version is made with onion, spices, pearl millet and buttermilk.
Rajasthani Thali is a unique experience that tourists should eat for at least one meal while visiting Bharatpur. A Rajasthani Thali is a platter of food that includes various dishes that together form a complete meal. A Thali has savory as well as sweet options, fried food, rice options, and Rotis along with dals, vegetables, and curries. A Rajasthani Thali includes different rotis, dal batti churma, moong dal, gatte ki sabzi, panchmela dal, ker sangri, papad ki sabzi among other foods. Rajasthani cuisine is also known for different types of pickles made from a variety of vegetables which are part of the Rajasthani Thali. It also includes sweets like imarti, moong dal halwa, and malpua among other sweets.
Top Restaurants in Bharatpur
Bharatpur has many top restaurants for tourists to enjoy a variety of delicious food from this region. Find below some of the most popular restaurants in Bharatpur:
1. Laxmi Vilas Palace Restaurant - This restaurant is famous for north-Indian, local and continental cuisine. This restaurant is the best spot to enjoy delicious mango soufflé.
2. Ravia Multi-cuisine Restaurant - If you are looking for a lavishing dinnertime, this restaurant provides roof-top and pool-side seats. Local cuisine is the main turn-on of this restaurant. You can also find Rajasthan cuisine and international cuisine dishes.
3. Hotel Sunbird Restaurant - Located closer to Keoladeo bird sanctuary, this place is very famous among tourists. It is also the right spot for those who want to try the spicy Indian cuisine. Paranthas and meat soups are the main highlights of this restaurant.
4. Shahi Rasoi Restaurant - This restaurant is famous for its combos of international cuisine and local Bharatpur dishes. Dal dishes of this restaurant are worth a try. Make sure to ask for a milder version of the dishes here, if you cannot tolerate the spicy level of Indians.
5. Gulmohar Restaurant - If you wish to try as many dishes as possible to enjoy a cuisine experience, this is the right restaurant. Located inside Bagh Resort, it is one of the luxury dining spots in the city.
Atithi Restaurant - There is nothing fancy about this small restaurant. However, the food is fresh and delightful. If you are looking to taste the best of local cuisine, this is the right spot. Dal and paneer dishes are exceptional here.
6. Celebration's - This restaurant is for those who would love to have a fusion meal. Indian and Chinese cuisine are the top elements of this place. Gujarati and Punjabi cuisines are also served in addition to the local cuisine.
7. Maharo Thikano - This is a themed restaurant for those who love a culture-filled dining experience. You can enjoy your food as you enjoy cultural performances like puppet shows, Kalbeliya dance, Ghoomar dance and others. You can also find other fun activities like camel riding, horse riding and others in this restaurant.
If you wish to enjoy luxury-dining experience throughout your trip, you can choose to cover Bharatpur in luxury trains. Top itinerary to cover Bharatpur is the Iconic itinerary of Palace on Wheels. For more details about the trip : Click Here.