Rajasthan’s culture gives more importance to luxurious items. The land was ruled by many kings and each empire gives more importance to unique styles of jewels and stones. Thanks to that explicit diversity, the entire state now has numerous authentic antique jewelry. Thewa jewelry, Meenakari jewelry, Kundan jewelry is just a few to mention. To add more royalty to the jewels, the artisans added unique gems to the jewelries like sapphire, rubies, diamonds, emeralds and others. Both silver and gold jewelries were quite common in the past.
Types Of Antique Jewelries
1. Thewa Jewelry
This style of jewelry is famous since the Mughal times. This style of jewelry has a unique making process, which has the product very eccentric. The jewelry is made with thick golden sheets embossed with molten glass. The style and design of the jewelry depends on the style of embossing. The jewelries made have a unique Jaipuri design.
2. Kundan Jewelry
This is a very famous jewelry type of Jaipur. It is an authentic one, which is chosen for religious activities and in particular, weddings. Polished gemstones are used for decorating this jewelry. You can find both gold based Kundan jewelry and metallic based one too. The making process starts with a framework called Ghaat. Later, a secret process called Paadh is done. At last, the gems are molded into it via wax.
3. Meenakari Jewelry
The royal females of Jaipur were more interested in Meenakari jewelry. This is a specific style, which is a fusion of authentic Jaipur style and Lahori style. The queens and princess of yesteryear preferred very heavy Meenakari jewels. The base for this jewelry is either silver or gold. The front part of the jewelry is colored with vibrant colors like blue, yellow and green. You can find various other colored jewelry if the base is gold.
Recommended Jaipur Tours
4. Jadau Jewelry
This is Mughal styled jewelry. It used unique types of semi-precious stones and beats, which are embedded in heated gold jewels. This style is called as Jadau style of jewel making.
Where to Buy – For gold-based jewelries visit Chand Pole Bazaar, Trimurti Circle, MI road and others. For diamond-based jewelries visit MI road and Johari Bazaar. For silver-based jewelries, visit Sardar Patel Marg, MI road and Tonk Road.
The land of Rajasthan becomes more prominent in jewel making because of its rich gemstone deposits. You can find many precious and semi-precious stones like Lapis Lazuli, Garnets, Emeralds, Rubies, Agate Amethysts, Topaz and others.
Where To Buy – If you are looking to buy loose gemstones or gemstones embedded jewelries, visit Subhash Chowk
5. Lac Jewelry
If you are looking for accessories and cheap but authentic souvenirs, try lac jewelries. Lac is an animal-based product secreted by insects. This resin is used to create bright-colored jewelries. Lac bangles are quite famous among souvenir collections.
Where to Buy – Jhotwara and Tonk Road
Recommended Rajasthan Tours
Tips While Buying Jewelry In Jaipur
- Do not blindly believe a vendor when he says that the stone he has is pure diamonds. Just because your guide or driver escorted you to a vendor, do not assume it to be an authentic shop.
- Know the right cost of silver, gold and diamond on the date of your purchase.
- Bill your purchase. Ask them to mention the percentage or grams of all precious and semi-precious stones in the product. Ask for computer-generated bill.
- If you find street vendors selling silver articles, there is a very high chance that you are buying something that just looks like silver.
- Every gold article in India should have hallmark symbol. Surf the net to know how the symbol would look.
- Just because your product comes from a branded shop, it does not mean that it is 100% pure.