Jaisalmer is a desert spot with age-old culture and tradition. The cuisine of Jaisalmer is unique when compared to other spots in Rajasthan. Jaisalmer cuisine mirrors the richness in their culture and their closeness to the desert. You can easily find a rich wholesome meal here. Unlike other parts of Rajasthan, Jaisalmer does not rely more on oil or butter. You can find many dishes with shredded vegetables. Desert ingredients like beans, capers and spices are commonly used in this cuisine.
The spiciness of the dishes is moderate and thus, you can enjoy many items here without worry. If you have a sensitive stomach, you can request for a milder version. This place is famous for sweets. Bhang is a local drink made using edible cannabis. It is legal here and cannot be taken back to your place or to other states.
Top Dishes to Enjoy In Jaisalmer
- Ker Sangria
- Kadi Pakora
- Mutton Saag
- Masala Raita
- Dal Bati Choorma
- Mughal Chicken Recipes
- Panchadhari Laddoos
- Local Styled Lassi
- Ghotua – Iconic Dessert Item
- Bhang (only for adults and legal food) – Cannot Be Taken To Other States Or Countries
Best Restaurants to Dine in Jaisalmer
This restaurant is located in Mandir Palace and it is a stylish fine-dining spot. The high ceiling tent and uniformed waiter give you a different experience. The restaurant serves authentic cuisine and you ought to try chickpea pickle of this restaurant.
This is an Italian restaurant located in Aakhe Pol. It is a spot to enjoy lush Italian styled dining erience in an open terrace. You can enjoy Chardonnay, Pizza and other dishes here. A place for luxury dining.
Desert Boy Dhani
Don’t let the name fool you. It is a great candlelight dining spot. It is a strict vegetarian hotel and it serves top-notch Rajasthani cuisine. You can enjoy live folk music while dining here.
Free Tibet Restaurant
This Tibetan based restaurant serves popular Tibetan cuisine dishes. The view from the restaurant is mesmerizing. The place is famous for Chicken Thupka, Wonton Soup, Momos and Spinach Momos with cheese.
This is a simple décor restaurant with mind-blowing dishes. You can find traditional cuisine along with different styled dishes. You can find vegan dishes too. Starting from Tandoor to Kebabs, you can find a long list of items here.
Zoya ka Zayeka
This is a boutique restaurant famous for local dishes like Aloo Parathas, Egg Curry and Others. The curd served here is very fresh and rich. You can enjoy a laid-back, relaxed and warm dining experience on a rooftop setting.
Unique Restaurants to Try in Jaisalmer
- Cafe Kaku – This is an 853 year old bastion which services Japanese, Mexican, Chinese an Indian cuisine. Seating arrangements are done in mattresses and blankets. You can enjoy brunches here. Try the traditional hookah, if desired. If you want an Arabian Nights styled dining, visit this restaurant.
- Killa Restaurant – Killa means castle and the décor goes with the name. You can enjoy a special dining experience with live folk music in the background. Bamboo wood seating is a unique feature here that goes well with enamel flooring. Food is decent.
- Kanchan Shree Ice Cream – The place might be small but dishes are unique and interesting. Best place to taste Saffron Lassi, Ice Cream Soda and others.
Street Food Destinations in Jaisalmer
- Hanuman Chowk - Tea, Dessert and Snacks
- Amar Sagar Pol - Dessert Items