What to Eat in Sariska
The cuisine of Sariska is not very different from that of Rajasthan’s general cuisine. There are quite a few luxury heritage hotels and resorts inside the tiger reserve, which provide top quality food in their signature restaurant.
The cuisine focuses on dried berries, spices, lentils and minimal fresh vegetables that grow in the desert soil. Thus, the local traditional cuisine has very little vegetable dishes in it. Mutton is the main meat used in this cuisine. The cuisine focuses on cooking the meat to a very tender state in cream or milk, as water is minimally found in this region. Chicken dishes are not very common; however, you can find a few.
Top dishes to try in Sariska are :
- Dal Bati Churma
- Besan Gram Gravy
- Laal Maas (Mutton)
- Ker Pickle (Made With Wildberry Found In Khejri Tree, The State Tree Of Rajasthan)
- Bhuna Kukda (Chicken)
As stated before, milk and milk products are very common in this cuisine. Thus, most of the dessert and snacks that you find this is cuisine is rich in milk products. If you are lactose intolerant, you might have a battling time in choosing a dish to try. Below are the list of top snacks and desserts of Sariska cuisine.
- Mirchi bada
- Safed maas
- Mohan laal (local fudge)
Before you try consuming local dishes in Sariska, here are a few things that you need to know.
- Milk is found in almost all dishes. If you are lactose intolerance, ask for a variant without milk or buttermilk.
- There is a misconception that Rajasthan cuisine is 100% meat-based. Although there are many meat based dishes, there are quite a lot of vegetarian dishes and pure vegetarian restaurants to enjoy.
- Sariska has many dishes that are very spicy. If you are not ready to experience the extreme, ask for bland variety while ordering
- Alwar delicacies and dishes are commonly found in Sariska. Give them, a try. Top Alwar dishes to try are kalakand, mawa kachori, amchoor launji and others.
- You can find numerous restaurants that serve continental, western and other cuisines. You have visited Rajasthan to enjoy an exotic vacation. Give a try to the local cuisine for a unique experience.