Facts of Varanasi
- Varanasi or Benaras is the oldest living city of the world, it being a chief centre of civilization for more than 3000 years.
- It is thought that the person who takes his last breath in Old Varanasi will surely attain salvation. Considered as “Mahashamshana” or “the great cremation ground”; dead bodies are brought here from far – off places for cremation at Manikarnika Ghat.
- It is the birth place of twenty - third Tirthankara, Parsvanath.
- It is the only place in the world which has got 84 ghats , making it the city with highest number of river banks in the world.
- Banaras Hindu University of Benaras is the one of the biggest universities in the world offering studies in Hindu scriptures – Vedas.
- It is the place where marriage of Frog is carried out with much pomp and show. Hundreds gather at Ashwamegh Ghat every year to see this interesting frog marriage in the rainy season duly carried out by Hindu priest.
- It is the birthplace to world – renowned artists and musicians like Pandit Ravi Shankar and Ustad Bismillah Khan.
- Each year thousands of tourists come just as tourists and hundreds of them make this place their home – such is the richness of this pious place!
- This place is famous for its five – day musical drupad festival held at Tulsi Ghat and Ganga Mahotsav festival held in November and Nag Nathaiya festival.
- The largest seller of Benarsi silk , it’s can take upto 6 months to complete a single piece of saree. The best known ones are Katan, Organza, Georgette and Shattir.
Recommended Varanasi Tours
Start planning your tailor-made India Tour by
contacting one of our specialists…Create Your Trip