Statue of Unity – World’s Tallest Statue in India
Standing pride and high along the hills of the southern part of Gujarat, this statue claims the new title of being the world’s tallest statue. Although not known to the entire world, the personality celebrated as the statue is ‘The Iron Man of India’, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. An important historic and political figure who brought the country together after independence. Standing twice the height of USA’s Statue of Liberty, this Iron Man statue is called as Statue of Unity. It is inaugrated by Honorable Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi on the occasion of Sardar’s 143rd birthday on 31st October at 11:30 AM.
History and Design
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was an important voice in the country’s freedom struggle. However, his actual work started after independence. When the British’s rule ended in India, this statesman persuaded (sometimes even used forceful methods) to bond India together by bringing many princely states and colonial regions together as one whole country. Patel worked with determination with numerous kings and royal heirs of the various kingdoms to let them go off their autocracy power over their land.
This large statue is made with bronze sheets and used around 25,000 ton of steel. Among this quantity of steel, the local farmers dedicated around 5000 ton of the total steel by giving their old and unused farming tools. The statue used around 210,000-meter cube of concrete. This amounts to the concrete used for the statue and the base. The overall cost of the statue is a whopping 400 million dollars.
Read More : Top 18 Interesting Facts about India
Features of Statue of Unity
Within a week from inauguration, more than 1.28 lakh tourists have visited this statue. Around 3 and half years were spent in making this statue. 3000 workers, which includes 300 engineers, were completely involved in this construction process.
The statue has a viewing gallery at a height of 153 m from ground. The gallery can hold around 200 tourists at any given time. From the viewing gallery, you can get a great view of SardarSarovar dam. The entire statue is divided into three zones.
Zone 1: This is the first level of the statue. This includes the mezzanine floor, an exhibit floor and the roof. It holds a memorial garden and a museum.
Zone 2: This is the part of the statue from ground to the thigh.
Zone 3: This is the part of the statue, which extends up to the viewing gallery.
Zone 4: This part of the statue covers the rest of the structure up to the head. This zone is not open for tourists.
In the evening, a thirty-minute laser show is conducted every day. There is a three-star hotel inside the complex for those who are willing to stay overnight.
The statue is located on a small island named Sadhu Bet Island, which is located in the SardarSarovar Dam, around 100 km away from Vadodara.
Entry Timings and Fee
The statue is open to tourists from Tuesday to Sunday.
Timing: From 9 am to 5 pm.
For Normal Visit
Entry fee for adults – INR 120 (INR 30 additional for bus charges)
Entry fee for children above 3 years – INR 60 (INR 30 additional for bus charges)
Entry fee for children below 3 years – free
For Observation Deck Visit
Entry Fee for Adults – INR 350 (INR 30 additional for bus charges)
Entry fee for Children Above 3 years – INR 200 (INR 30 additional for bus charges)
Entry free for Children Below 3 year – Free
The entry fee for normal visit includes visit to the valley of flower, memorial garden, audiovisual gallery, museum, statue and others. The entry fee for observation deck visit includes all the destinations of normal visit along with SOU site and SardarSarovar dam.
How to Book Tickets for Statue of Unity?
There is a ticket counter closer to the entrance gate. The counter opens at 9 am. On the other hand, you can visit the official site of the statue to book tickets.
Important Facts of Statue of Unity
- The statue stands at the height of 182 meters in Kevadiya Village of Gujarat.
- This statue was dedicated to the Iron Man on his 143rd birthday, 31st
- Since he is the Iron Man of India, the iron used for this statue was specifically collected from various parts of the country.
- The highest number of tourists visited on November 10, 2018. The footfall accounts to 27,000 tourists on a single day.
- Although it is the tallest statue in the world, this title does not stay for long. Another statue is under construction in India to celebrate the life and accomplishment of Chakravarthi Shivaji, which will be quite higher than this ‘statue of unity’.
- A lot of criticism were thrown at the cost utilized for the statue and refund for the land used for the statue.
- The bronze work of the statue was made by a Chinese foundry, Jiangxi Toquine Company.
- The statue has three layers and this style of construction was preferred to strengthen the statue to withstand earthquakes up to 6.5 Richter scale.
- The elevators in the statue are located on each leg. An elevator can hold 26 people at once and reaches the viewing gallery in just 30 seconds.
- There is a separate selfie zone in the region for youngsters.
- The museum in the statue holds more than 2000 photographs and around 4000 documents, all pertaining to the life and work of Sardar Vallabhbai Patel.
How to Reach Statue of Unity?
The statue is located in Gujarat, around 100 km away from Vadodara. Located near Narmada District, you need to reach Narmada District through any transportation and then reach the statue from there. There are works to connect the statue directly with the highway. Until then, you need to reach Narmada, first.The statue is located in the dam. Once you reach the edge of the dam, you can find ferries available for travelling to the statue. The island on which the statue is located is called Sadhu Bet Island.
The nearest airport is located in Vadodara, which is 90 km away from the statue. From the airport, you can find cabs or buses to reach the statue, directly. The nearest railway station is located in Vadodara. From the station, you can find cabs or other public transportation to the site.
Suggested Tour Packages :
If you are visit India you must know :
- Is India Safe for Solo Female Travellers?
- Top Things That First-Time Indian Visitors Should Know
- Essential Hindi Words and Phrases for Travel to India
- What To Wear In India
- How to Get India Tourist Visa
- 15 Essential Tips to Know Before You Travel To India
- 22 Interesting Things To Do In India Before You Die