Unique Ways of Celebrating Diwali in India
Namaste.. Travelogy India Wishes You Shubh Deepawali..!!
Diwali also known as Deepawali is one of the major festivals celebrated throughout India with much enthusiasm. It is the brightest festival of India and is considered as the "festival of lights." Diwali is celebrated in Karthik month according to Hindu calendar (October or November).
Other countries where Diwali is celebrated are Nepal, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Trinidad & Tobago, Guyana, Suriname, Singapore, Malaysia and Fiji. These countries besides India, observes an official holiday on the day of Diwali.
Significance of Diwali
It is believed that when Lord Rama along with his wife Sita and brother Lakshmana returned to Ayodhya from the exile of 14 years, the people of Ayodhya lit earthen lamps to remove darkness from the path of Royal family and to welcome their beloved King Rama. But in Bengal, Diwali is celebrated to honor Goddess Kali.
Also Read : 15 Famous Festivals in India in November
How to Celebrate Diwali in India
1. Cleaning and Painting: People clean every nook and corner of their houses before Diwali and get them painted.
2. Go Shopping: People do a lot of shopping for themselves and their families. They purchase goods to decorate their houses (home décor), electronic products, utensils and jewelry is purchased mostly.
3. Make Rangoli: Colorful Rangolis with colored powder or flowers are made at the entrance of residence and business places.
4. Light Lamps: Illuminates their houses traditionally with earthen lamps or diyas and candles. Now-a-days varied colorful lights are used to illuminate the houses as technology is driving away the tradition.
5. Burst Crackers: According to believe, crackers are busted to keep the evils at bay. Therefore, people burst variety of crackers and fireworks.
6. Wear New Clothes: To represent the ethnicity, people wear traditional dresses during Diwali.
7. Prepare Sweets & Savories: Variety of sweets and savories are prepared to serve family and friends visiting their place during Diwali.
8. Prepare Veg-dishes: People avoid eating non-veg and prepare vegetarian dishes.
9. Perform Lakshmi Puja: During Diwali, people perform Lakshmi pooja, seeking blessings and prosperity from Goddess Lakshmi (Goddess of wealth).
10. Give Away Gifts: Greet your family and friends with sweets and gifts on Diwali wishing them luck and fortune throughout the year.
11. Join Public Celebrations: Attend the public celebrations of Diwali, where people gather at a place and celebrate together.
How to Celebrate Diwali in a Different Way
Do you want to celebrate Diwali in a different way than the usual ways??? We have some unique ideas to make your Diwali bright and memorable. Here we go:
1. Give a helping hand in the kitchen: Go into the kitchen this Diwali to give a helping hand to your mom or wife making them feel special.
2. Poke out the artist in you: This Diwali, decorate the interior and exterior of your house with fresh flowers or make colorful and bright rangolis at the entrance/corners of your house.
3. Be with your family & friends: On Diwali, make it a point to spend quality time with your family since morning by gossiping with them, having lunch together, sharing jokes and watching your favorite show on television. Give a call to your old friends and ask them to come at your place for a get together. Make your loved ones feel cared & loved.
4. Be a reason for someone’s smile: Instead of spending money on crackers, try to purchase smile for the unfortunate people. It may be someone you know like your maid, peon or to roadside strangers those who don’t expect it from you. Make them feel loved; it will in turn make you feel better.
5. Get indulged into social service: Convince others to do charity and not to burst crackers so that you can enjoy pollution free Diwali. Explain it to the people that the noise of the explosion takes away many lives (of animals & birds). It frightens these poor creatures who cannot even speak. Not only animals and birds but the noise and residue of fireworks are harmful for human beings (especially old people). Spread this message and save lives.
6. Have a musical Diwali: This year make your Diwali enchanting with music and tap your toes. Enjoy some groovy moves on your favorite music making the celebration special.
7. Bring out Ethnicity: On this Diwali, say no to technology and use more of earthen lamps than variety of electronic lights. Allow the poor lamp sellers to earn on this Diwali so that they could also spend their Diwali nicely. Celebrate your Diwali wearing traditional Indian costumes. Believe it a person looks elegant while representing his/her culture.
8. Enjoy Fireworks from a distance: You cannot make everyone understand not to burst crackers but you’ll find others bursting crackers. Enjoy the fireworks from a distance without involving yourself into it while protecting your lungs from the polluted air.
Why People Gamble on Diwali Night?
It is said that Goddess Parvati played dice with Lord Shiva and declared that those who will gamble on Diwali will be blessed with prosperity throughout the year. Therefore, people gamble on Diwali nights!
Don’ts During Diwali
- Do not place Diyas (earthen lamps) near curtains or areas where fire can be caught easily. Do not allow children or pets to tip over the lamps.
- Don’t leave your children alone while busting crackers. Children should burst crackers under the guidance of an adult.
- Don’t burst crackers in the regions where firecrackers are prohibited.
- Do not gamble away all that you have. Play it for fun and enjoy!
Celebrate the victory of good over evil jointly with family and friends. Enlighten your inner soul by lighting diyas and doing good to others. This Diwali remember to share and care and be happy.
Travelogy India wishes you Happy & Safe Deepawali. "May the Festival of Light Illuminate Your Life & Shower Glory, Prosperity, Health and Peace."
Popular Tour Packages to explore Culture of India :