A Complete Guide about Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple, Delhi
The Akshardham Temple is located on the National Highway 24 in Delhi. The temple is well known as Swaminarayan Akshardham Mandir. Bhagwan Swaminarayan is considered to be the primary deity in this temple. There are also few idols of Hindu gods and goddesses such as Shiv Parvati, Sita Ram, Lakshmi Narayan and also Radha Krishna in the temple premises.
The temple is considered to be one of the biggest and the most famous temple in Delhi NCR region. The temple is a beautiful showcase for Indian art, heritage, rituals and also spiritual values to Swaminarayan, who was believed as the torch bearer of the Indian culture. The temple is set in a 100 acre site and the temple was built within 5 years. The Akshardham Temple was created by Pramukh Swami Maharaj which radiates peace, beauty, divinity and joy.
Main Attractions of Akshardham Temple
1. Ten Gates
The Ten gates represent the ten principal directions which is described in the Indian culture. The ten gates also reflects the Vedic sentiment of inviting peace and happiness from everywhere to all the visitors.Read More : Why Visit Delhi ? Suggested Tour : 6 Days - Golden Triangle Tour India
2. Bhakti Dwar
The bhakti dwar is considered as the Gate of Devotion which celebrates the Vedic tradition of dual worship. It is believed that offering devotion to God and his choicest devotee is the genuine form of worship. There are 208 sculpted dual forms of God and his devotees in this resplendent gate.Suggested Tour : 9 Days - Golden Triangle with Goa Tour
3. Mayur Dwar
Two Mayur Dwars of the temple consider pay a tribute to the joy and color like a peacock adds to life. The peacock is believed to be a symbol of beauty and purity and it is also the national bird of our country. Each gates has sculpted 869 peacocks imposing.Suggested Tour : 8 Days - Golden Triangle with Rajasthan Wildlife
In between the two Mayur Dwars , the footprints of Bhagwan Swaminarayan in the memory of his incarnation on earth is laid. These footprints are carved out of white marble and also bear the 16 sacred signs of God. Showering water from four directions in a continuous process is also consisted.Suggested Tour : 10 Days - Golden Triangle with North India Temple
5. Akhshardham Mandir
The centre point of the entire temple complex is locates the Akshardham Mandir which is built of pink stone and white marble. It is measurably 141ft high, 316 ft wide and 356 ft long. It also features 234 intricately carved pillars, 9 magnificent doms, 20 pinnacles and over 20,000 amazing sculpted figures. It also displays India’s ancient architectural tradition and is built without the use of steel.Also Read : About Lotus Temple in Delhi Suggested Tour : 7 Days - North India Cultural Tour
Inside the temple is the Idol of Bhagwan Swaminarayan which is 11 ft high, gold plated. There are also few impressive idols of Radha Krishna, Shri Sita Ram, Shri Lakshmi Narayan and Sri Shiva Parvati.Also Read : Top 5 Places To See on a One Day Delhi Tour
The external wall termed as Mandovar is 611 ft long and 25 ft high. It comprises of 4287 carved stones and includes 48 murtis of Ganapati Bappa and also 200 sculpted figures of India’s Great Rishi Munis, Sadhus, Devotees and Acharyas.Also Read : Heavenly Walking & Driving Corridor in Delhi
8. Gajendra Peeth
The Akshardham Mandir is seated on a unique 1070 ft long Gajendra Peeth, which comprises of 148 sculpted stone elephants and dozens of sculptures off animals, birds and people in a weight of over 3000 tons. It also signifies the glory of elephants and nature in the Indian culture.
9. Hall -1 Sahajanand Darshan
The universal values of mankind such as Courage, Endeavor, Honesty, Faith and Ahimsa are displayed from the life of Bhagwan Swaminarayan through films, light and sound shows consisting of robotic figures.
10. Hall-2 Neelkanth Darshan
A largely timed film which portrays the true story of an 11 year old child yogi, Neelkanth Vami. The screen where the film is projected is around 85 ft and 65 ft. The film was believed to be shot in 108 locations of India and also featuring crew of cast about 45000 people. The film actually captures the minds of the viewers on an exciting pilgrimage through the majestic Himalayas and also India’s sacred places, festivals, traditions and values.Also Read : 8 Crunchy and Spicy Fast Food to Taste During Delhi Tour Suggested Tour : 11 Days - Religious Family Packages India
11. Hall-3 Sanskriti Vihar
An opulent 14 minute boat ride through the stages of 10000 years old Indian Culture, which was actually flourished on the banks of river Sarasvati. In a research, it was found that 800 statues bring India’s glorious heritage alive. You can also find the world’s oldest Vedic village and bazaar. It sails through Takshashila – the world’s first University. One can also learn about important inventions and discoveries of ancient Rishi Munis and saints.[caption id="attachment_5330" align="aligncenter" width="750"] World’s Oldest Vedic Village and Bazaar[/caption] [caption id="attachment_5331" align="aligncenter" width="750"] Takshashila – the world’s first University[/caption] [caption id="attachment_5332" align="aligncenter" width="750"] Discoveries of Ancient Rishi Munis and Saints[/caption]
12. Yagnapurush Kund and Sahaj Anand Water Show
The lotus shaped Yagnapurush Kund is considered to be the replica of a traditional yagna kund.
Every evening it is being transformed into an amazing WATER Show, which has creative blend with lights, fire, lasers, fountains, projector displays and also displays the spiritual aspects of the Upanishads. Also near to it is the 27 ft high metallic murti of Neelkanth Varni, the young yogi form of Bhagwan Swaminarayan.Also Read : What to do in Delhi for 2 Days
13. Narayan SarovarThe Narayan Sarovar surrounds the Akhardham Monument on three sides. The holy waters of 151 lakes, rivers of India, visited by Swaminarayan has been ritually added to the Narayan Sarovar. Also Read : Top 10 Things To Do In Delhi
14. Abhishek MandapamIt is the religious approach of offering prayers and making wishes ritually pouring water of the holy Ganga on the murti of Neelkantha Vami. Also Read : Top Tourist Attractions in Delhi Suggested Tour : 8 Days - Golden Triangle with Bharatpur Tours
15. ParikramaThe Mandir is encircled by a two tier colonnade in red stone encircles the Mandir. Each tier is 3000 ft long with 1152 pillars and 145 windows. Also Read : Best Time to Visit Delhi
Facts About the Akshardham Temple
- Water show timings are allotted on every evening after sunset.
- Entry to Akshardham Temple is 9.30 am onwards.
- Tuesday to Sunday are open, Mondays are closed.
- Last entry to the Mandir is 6.30 pm.
- There is no entrance fee.
- Exhibition timing hours are from 10.30 am to 6 pm.
- Souvenir shop timings are allotted from 11 am to 8 pm.
- The construction cost of the Akshardham Temple is Rs 400 crores.
- Prime deity of the temple is Swaminarayan.
Prohibitions in Akshardham Temple
- Food from outside is not allowed
- Avoiding improper language, disrespect to any human and rude behaviour.
- Pets are not allowed in the temple premises.
- Electronic goods such as mobile phones, cameras, video cameras are not allowed inside the premises of the temple.
- Consumption of alcohol, drugs, smoking and alcohol are not allowed inside the temple premises.
Dress Codes for Visitors
- In winter ( November to March) – Warm clothes are recommended.
- In summers (April to June) – Light cotton clothes are recommended.
- In monsoon (July to October) – Wearing respectable clothes.