Top 20 Richest Temples in India
India is a land of mystic beauty and exclusive culture. Kings of the past built temples as a way to give work to people during famine, keep army and animals in shape and as a safe place for locals to hide, when invaders enter the region.
These temples were built with classic architectural features and a royal ambience so that the temples will stand for centuries to come, so does the name of the king who commissioned it. There are numerous interesting temples around the country and a few rich ones too. Here are the Top 20 Richest Temples in India:
1. Anantha Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Kerala
Located in Trivandrum of Kerala, this temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. This temple is considered as one of the richest temples of the world. The temple has more than 1,00,000 crores of assets in the form of gold, precious stones, silver, statues, crows and much more. This treasure was discovered in one of the closed vaults of the temple, which was kept close for several decades or even a century.
Top Tourist Attractions In and around Trivandrum
- Agasthyakoodam - Peak, wildlife attraction, orchids and famous for trekking
- Kuthiramalika Palace Museum - Famous for traditional architecture, wooden carving, collection of paintings, royal artifacts and many others.
- Padmanabhapuram Palace - Famous wooden palace with murals, floral carvings and granite floor.
- Vali Lake - Picnic spot, boating, park and others
- Ponmudi - Hill station at 915 m above sea level, famous for scenic spots, springs, deer park and trekking
- Napier Museum - Authentic collection of ancient instruments of music, figures of dancers, ivory carving articles, bronze statues, paintings, botanical garden and an observatory.
Read More : Top 10 Famous Temples in Kerala
Suggested Tour : 10 Days - Best of Kerala Tour
2. Venkateswara Temple, Andhra Pradesh
During the days of festivals, more than 5,00,000 pilgrims visit this place, every day. As donations from pilgrims, the temple receives more than $120 million USD in form of cash, gold and other offerings, every year. Moreover, the human hair, which is shaven as sacrifice by the pilgrims are cleaned and sold. The entire value of the temple is 37,000 crore. This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and it is an important pilgrimage site, also called as the Seven Hills region, in Chittoor. Every year, the donation to the temple is converted into 3000 kg of gold bars for easy storage.
Read more: Things to Know About South India – A Complete Guide
Tourist Attractions In and around Chittoor
- Horsley Hills - Famous for cliché hill station activities, trekking, archery, boating and others.
- Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary - Spotting elephants, sloth bear, panther, black bear, hippopotamus, hyena and others
- Kalavagunta - Small village housing many temples and rivers
- Gurramkonda Fort - This fort of Vijayanagar Empire stands on top of a 500-foot high hill.
- Nagari Hills - Trekking, temples and picnic spots
- Mogili - Coastal village famous for temples, art works and cultural beauty
- Ramagiri - This village holds many temples and a temple tank, which is said to have medicinal values.
Read more: Top Places for a Temples Experience in South India
Suggested Tour : 8 Days - South India Temple Tours
3. Guruvayurappan Temple, Guruvayoor
This is another temple of Kerala, which makes to this list. This temple is called as the Dwaraka of South India. This temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna, who is worshiped in the baby form. This temple is said to possess some magnetic power derived from its location. Thus, it is said that the temple has healing powers. Strict dress codes are required to enter this temple. More than 50,000 people visit this temple, every day. The entire asset of the temple is 2,500 Crores.
Tourist Attractions In and Around Guruvayoor
- Anakotta - Elephant park
- Palayoor Church
- Chetuva Backwater - Boating, house boats, Ayurvedic resorts and islands
- Blangad Beach - Evening stroll, watching sunset, tasting seafood delicacies and other beach activities
Also Read : What To Wear In India – Essential Packing List
Suggested Tour : 10 Days - Hills and Backwaters of Kerala Tour
4. Vaishno Devi Temple, Katra
This unique piece of architecture is located in Jammu and Kashmir, at a height of 5300 feet above sea level. It is one of the ancient temples of the land and is linked with Lord Shiva’s mythologies. Vaishno Devi temple is one of the 51 places where parts of Goddess Shakti’s body fell, when Lord Shiva carried her dead body around the world. Thousands of devotees visit this temple, every year.
Practically, visiting this temple is quite exhausting. Given the altitude and the rough path, it is very hard to reach the temple. Ponies, helicopters and palanquins are available to reach the temple. Despite all these troubles, thousands of people visit this temple very year. The net worth of the temple is around INR 500 crore.
Tourist Attractions In and around Katra
- Banganga River - Holy Bath And Picnicking
- Himkoti - Cultural Destination With Garden, Great View And Meditation Center
- Jhajjarkotli - View Of Himalayas
- Dera Baba Banda - Pilgrimage Site For Sikhs
Must Read: 30 Famous Temples in India You Must Visit
5. Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Maharashtra
Dedicated to Sai Baba, a preacher of Hinduism, this temple has an asset worth 320 crores INR. This temple is famous among his disciples, who are around the world. This temple is located in Shirdi, a village where Sai Baba lived for most of his life, creating miracles, preaching and helping people around him. The throne on which, the deity is seated is made of 94 kg of gold, worth more than 10 crores.
Tourist Attractions in and around Shirdi
- Sai Heritage Village - Pilgrimage themed picnic park
- Khandoba Mandir - Pilgrimage site
- Hanuman Mandir - Pilgrimage site
- Bhandardara - Hill station of Maharashtra famous for scenic vacation with cliché hill station activities
6. Sabarimala Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Periyar Tiger Reserve
Again, the God’s Own Country makes the list with the famous temple of Lord Ayyappan. This temple is located on a small hill, 3000 feet above sea level. The distinctive feature of the temple is that not everyone can enter it. For someone to be considered worthy to reach the main sanctum inside the temple, he/she has to undergo 41 days of rituals, which include deprivation from any worldly pleasure. Women of reproductive age are not allowed inside the temple’s main sanctum. This temple gets more than 50 million pilgrims every year. The offerings of God are one of the major source of income for this temple. The net worth of the temple is INR 245 Crores.
Tourist Attractions in and around Sabarimala
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary - Elephant Spotting, River Rafting, Safari And Others
- Suruli Falls - Waterfalls And Pools For Water Activities
- Spice Plantations - Strolling
- Mangala Devi Kannagi Temple - Ancient Religious Site
- Vandiperiyar Town - Tea Plantation And Tea Factories
Also Read : Enjoy the Unique Bamboo Rafting in Periyar River
Suggested Tour : 13 Days - Kerala Hill Stations Tour
7. Jagannath Temple, Puri
This is one of the ancient temples of Lord Vishnu in India. Located in Puri of Orissa, this temple gets a large crowd of pilgrims every year, especially during the Rath Yatra festival. This pilgrimage site is the most famous and the richest one in Orissa. The entire worth of the temple is expected to be more than INR 150 crores. Official net value of the temple has not yet been disclosed recently.
Apart from being a rich and cultural destination, it is very famous for its traditional Odishan architecture. It is said that the deity is decorated with 209 kg of gold, during important festivals. In addition, five underground chambers of this temple are still unopened and no one has any idea about what richness are contained in them.
Tourist Attractions in and around Puri
- Raghurajpur - Artisan Village And Living Museum With Paintings, Carvings, Mural Paintings And Others
- Sakhigopal - Temple Of Lord Krishna Of 19th Century
- Pipili - Craft Village Famous For Shops Of Appliqué Masterpieces, Handicraft And Others
- Chilika - Lagoon With Largest Brackish Water Lake Of The Continent. Spot To Find Dolphins, Birds And Many Species Of Fishes
Also Read : Chariot Festival of Puri- The Jagannath Rath Yatra
8. Siddhivinayak Temple, Mumbai
This is the iconic tourist destination of Mumbai. This temple is visited by every Hindu celebrity and it is an important site to visit during Ganesh Chaturthi. The main deity of the temple is made of 4 kg of gold. The net worth of the temple is 125 crores.
Tourist Attractions In and Around Mumbai
- Gateway Of India - Triumphal Structure Commissioned By British Government
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus - Railway Station Famous For Its Victorian Gothic Styled Architecture
- Elephanta Caves - Collection Of Caves With Sculptures And Carvings, Location In A Small Island
- Lonavala - Hill Town Famous For Forts, Caves, Tiger Point, Waterfalls, Pawna Lake And Gardens
- Khandala - Famous For Scenic Sights And Nature Spots
- Mahabaleshwar - Highest Hill Station Of Western India Famous For Strawberry Farms, Raspberry Farms, Temples, Caves, Forts And Others
Also Read : Where to Stay in Mumbai
Suggested Tour : 4 Days - Mumbai Sightseeing Tour
9. Mahalaxmi Temple, Kolhapur
This is yet another temple of Shakti Pitha, the spots where body parts of Shakti fell, according to myths. However, the main deity of this temple is Lord Lakshmi. The deity of this temple is a spiritual entity of luck. This temple is considered as the residing place or Lakshmi and Vishnu. This temple has a net worth of INR 14 crores.
Tourist Attractions In And Around Kolhapur
- Shahuji Chhatrapati Museum - Museum Inside Royal Palace Of Kolhapur, Famous For Its Collection Of Paintings, Artifacts, Sculptures And Others
- Rankala Lake - Artificial Lake Famous Structures And Temples Around It
- Binkhambi Ganesh Mandir - 19th Century Temple Of Lord Ganesh
- Irwin Agricultural Museum - This Museum holds ancient pottery Items, Coins, Bronze Articles And Farming Equipment of the past
10. Somnath Temple, Gujrat
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this temple is one of the Jyotirlingam temples of India. This temple’s Chalukya architecture is a main attraction. The tomb of the temple is 150 m high. Many masterpieces inside the temple were robbed and destroyed by the invaders. What is left is still mind-blowing and enthralling. This temple is located in a coastal region of west Gujarat and it attracts millions of tourists every year. The net worth of the temple is assumed to be more than INR 11 Crores.
Tourist Attractions in and around Gujarat
- Old City of Ahmedabad - Indo-Islamic architectures, heritage walk and others
- Sun Temple of Modhera - 11th century carved temple famous for stone sculptures and sunrise view
- Rani ki Vav - A carved monumental stepwell of 11th century containing 1500 and more sculptures
- Kutch - The salt desert of India famous for wild ass sanctuary and Rann of Kutch celebration in winter
- Dwarka - Ancient kingdom ruled by Lord Krishna, famous for Dwarkadhish temple of 200 BC, seashell article, GomtiGhat and others
- Marine National Park - Consist of 42 islands and coral reefs. You can spot a lot of unique birds and marine species
Read more: Pilgrimage Tour – Somnath Temple
11. Golden Temple, Amritsar
The main pilgrimage site of Sikhs is located in Amritsar. This legendary architectural beauty is famous for its beautiful architecture, dazzling golden color and the culture. The temple provide free food to more than 10,000 people, every day, three meal per day. This is one of the most sacred destinations in the world. Every day, more than 50,000 people visit this temple.
Tourist Attractions in and around Amritsar
- Wagah Border - Road crossing between India and its neighboring country, Pakistan. Famous for the retreat ceremony that happens during sunset
- Jallianwala Bagh - Infamous for the massacre, which happened during independence struggle. Today, it holds a memorial structure.
- Gobind Garh Fort - 19th century fort famous for rugged architecture
- Akal Takht - Sikh religious site
- Lakshmi Narayan Temple - An architectural imitation of Golden Temple, dedicated to Hindu God Lakshmi
- Partition Museum - Facts, artifacts and stories of freedom struggle are displayed in this museum
- Gurudwara Baba Atal Rai - Octagonal tower, which is a religious site for Sikhs
Read more: Golden Temple Amritsar- The Most Visited Place in the World
Suggested Tour : 10 Days - Golden Triangle Tour with Amritsar
12. Meenakshi Temple, Madurai
This 7th century rock temple is dedicated to Lord Meenakshi. This temple is famous for its remarkable architecture, which includes exclusive sculptures, hall of thousand pillars and many others. This temple is considered to be one of the biggest temples of Tamil Nadu. Every year more than 25,000 people visit this temple and it is quite crowded during special festivals. The temple has a net worth of INR 6 Crores.
Also Read : Top 10 Temples in Tamil Nadu
Tourist Attractions in and around Madurai
- Puthu Mandapam - Emporium for buying clothes, handicrafts and other art works
- Tirumalai Nayak Palace - 17th century palace of Italian-Indian architecture. Stay back for the light and sound show that takes place every evening
- St. Mary’s Cathedral - 19th century Roman Catholic famous for tall bell towers, Continental-European architecture and a religious destination
- Gandhi Memorial Museum - Summer palace of Nayak was converted into a museum for Gandhi, Father of the Nation. It also holds a government museum
- Thiruparankundram - Religious site on top of a small hillock and a 14th century shrine of Islamic saint
- Vilachery Pottery Village - Craft village famous for buying clay dolls, home décor items and other art works
- Keelakuyilkudi Village - Famous for Jain religious sites and caves
Read more: The Most Spiritual Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai
Suggested Tour : 4 Days - Madurai Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Temple Tour
13. Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Varanasi
Varanasi is full of temples. The main temple of the city is the Vishwanath temple located on the banks of River Ganga. It is one of the oldest temples of the region. This temple is one of the Jyotrilinga temples of Lord Shiva. The interiors of this temple is very similar to Rameshwaram temple (also in this list) of South India. This unique architecture is the beauty of the land.
According to mythology, a dip in the Ganges and a prayer in the temple would help to attain eternal salvation. More than 3000 people visit this temple, every day and during festivals, the head count goes beyond 10 lakhs. According to an official report of 2014, the temple has a net worth of INR 6 crores.
Tourist Attractions in and around Varanasi
- Ghats of Ganga - There are 88 ghats on the river and each one is famous for unique religious and tourist activities. Top ghats to cover are Dashashwamedha Ghat, Manikarnika Ghat, Scindia Ghat, Assi Ghat and others
- Ramnagar Fort - Historic fort holding an armory and a museum
- Sarnath - Buddhist pilgrimage site with stupas, deer park and a museum
- Gyan Kupa - An ancient well considered to be a well of wisdom, which grants wishes
- Durga Temple - Bright red temple famous for Nagara style architecture, belonging to 18th century
- Bharat Mata Temple - Temple for Mother India
Read more : Top 11 Things to Experience in Varanasi
Suggested Tour : 3 Days -Varanasi Exclusive Tour
14. Amarnath Temple, Jammu
Climb 12,760 feet above sea level to visit this exotic temple, where ice is prayed to. Every year, during the winter season, an ice sculpture is formed in the shape of Lord Shiva’s lingam. This lingam is prayed as the purest form of Lord Shiva. Reaching this temple is not an easy task. The high altitude is not an ideal place for many people. Still, millions of people visit this temple, every year.
Tourist Attractions in and around Jammu
- Dogra Art Museum - Collection of 800 rare paintings
- Bahu Fort - 3000 years old fort famous for exploration and architectural beauty
- Patnitop - Hill station at the lower end of Himalayas famous for solitude scenic vacation
- Mubarak Mandi Palace - 20th century palace
- Sanasar - Mini-Gulmarg famous for honeymoon vacation
15. Kamakhya Temple, Guwahati
This temple is considered as one of the seven wonders of India. This temple of Assam is dedicated to tantric form of Lord Shakthi. This temple’s deity is said to bleed during the month of June, causing Brahmaputra River to turn red. This phenomenon is yet to be proven by science. During this miraculous event of three days, the temple will be closed. Thousands of people visit Assam to see this unique temple.
Tourist Attractions in and around Guwahati
- Kaziranga National Park - National park to spot one-horned rhino, elephants and others
- Manas National Park - Elephant reserve and tiger reserve
- Kamakhya Temple - Temple to protect from evil eyes. This temple is famous for its tantric styled architecture
- Assam State Museum - Collection of artifacts, statues and other historic and cultural elements
- Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra - Cultural center holding a theater and a museum
- Umananda Island - Scenic island with a historic Hindu temple
Also Read : 7 Best Places to Visit in North East India
16. Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple, Delhi
This list is majorly covered with old temples. However, this is one of the newest temples of the country. This temple is a modern route to spirituality with open garden, robotic display of sacred texts, modern artwork of epics of the religion and many others. This sandstone temple is a rich colossal of Indian culture and Hinduism. This temple is an important tourist attraction in Delhi.
Tourist Attractions In And Around Delhi
- Red fort - 17th century Mughal structure famous for political reasons and architecture
- Jama Masjid - One of the largest mosques in the country
- Chandni Chowk - Shopping site for souvenirs, fabric, jewelry and others
- Humayun’s tomb - Resting place of King Humayun of 16th century famous for its architectural beauty
- Lodhi Gardens - 15th century garden famous for jogging, strolling, meditating and relaxation
Get Complete Guide : A Complete Guide about Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple, Delhi
Suggested Tour : 7 Days - North India Tour from Delhi
17. Lingaraj Temple, Bhubaneshwar
This temple is one of the largest and oldest of the country. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this temple belongs to the ancient thriving Kalinga reign. This temple is constructed entirely out of red sandstones. This temple is an important element of Bhubaneshwar’s skyline. This temple complex holds more than 50 smaller shrines for other Hindu deities. This is one of the very few destinations in the country, where opium is legal and served as a religious offering.
Tourist Attractions In and around Bhubaneshwar
- Parasurameswara Temple - 7th century temple of Nagara style famous for stone carving and sculptures
- Mukteshwara Temple - One of the major pilgrimage destinations of Bhubaneshwar
- Khandgiri And Udayagiri Caves - 1st century BC cakes of Chedi Dynasty filled with Jain temples.
- Dhauli Hill - Site of Kalinga War and famous for rock cut elephants, peace pagoda and others
- Brahmeshwara Temple - 9th century temple famous for stone carvings, sculptures, description about the 9 planets and others
18. Rameshwaram Temple, Rameshwaram
Located in a small island region of Tamil Nadu, this temple is very famous for its unique architectural beauty. The pilgrims take a bath in the shore and come to pray in this temple for salvation from any wrong doing in any of the seven births (yes, Hindus believe that every soul is born seven times). According to Legends, this temple is the spot where Lord Ram worshiped for salvation for the crime of killing Raavan in Sri Lanka. This temple is an important pilgrimage site and Jyotirlingam.
Tourist Attractions In And Around Rameshwaram
- Kothandaramaswamy Temple - Famous for shallow beaches, historic ruins and religious activities
- Lakshmana Theertam - Architectural beauty and a sacred pond
- Villoondi Tirtham - Temples and view of ocean
- Agni Theertham - A holy dip in the water here is said to remove sins committed and purify the soul
- Ariyaman Beach - Famous for picnic, boating and others
- Adam’s Bridge - Historic bridge famous for limestone shoals and coral reefs
- Water Bird Sanctuary - Best site to spot migration birds and local aviary population
Read more : Top Places to Visit in Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu
Suggested Tour : 15 Days - South India Temple Tour Package
19. Mahabodhi Temple Complex, Bihar
This is the oldest temple of this list. Built in 260 BC, this temple is dedicated to Gautam Buddha, by King Ashoka. This temple is said to be the spot where Gautama Buddha sat under the Bodhi Tree and attained enlightenment. The temple is the first Buddhism temple to be built in brick. Today, this unique structure is a heritage site, attracting millions of tourists every year.
Tourist Attractions In And Around Bihar
- Golghar - Historic granary and grand view
- Barabar Caves - Buddhist ancient caves
- Sanjay Gandhi Jaivikudyan - Zoo and botanical garden
- Janhit Gurbani - Sikhism religious site
- Mahavir Mandir - Hindu pagoda, famous for shopping religious souvenirs
- Sher Shah Suri Tomb - 16th century mausoleum of Sher Shah Suri
Read more: 10 Most Famous Buddhist Temples In India
20. Lotus Temple, Delhi
The unique beauty lies in the architectural style. This temple is designed in the shape of lotus, which is about to bloom. This is the first Iranian styled temple of the country. The most interesting part about the temple is that, this has no religion. Lotus Temple, made of 39 granite petals like structure allows practice of all religions in its complex. More than 70 million people visiting this temple during 2001. This temple is considered as one of the most visited places on the planet Earth.
Tourist Attractions In And Around Delhi
- Qutub Minar - 12th century minaret famous for its architecture and the first mosque of the land
- Rashtrapati Bhawan - Ceremonial boulevard famous for Republic Day parade and the residence of President of India
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial - Memorial of Gandhi and a museum holding collection of memorabilia of Gandhi
- Jantar Mantar - 18th century observatory famous for old instruments of astronomy
- The National Museum - Famous for collection of copper items, bronze articles, jewelry, tribal masks, swords, musical instruments and others.
Read more : Top Ten Luxury Resorts Near Delhi for You
Suggested Tour : 4 Days - Delhi Agra Private Tour
There are numerous such rich temples around the country. It is not possible to cover every temple in the country in one vacation, unless you plan on spending a couple of months dedicated to temples. It is better to choose top pilgrimage destinations and cover major temples of your destination.