January Weather in India
Get Detailed Information about January Weather in India
In India, winter starts in December and ends in March. Thus, January is one of the coldest month of this peninsular. Due to its pleasing climatic condition and comparatively lower precipitation, the month is one of the top tourism period for the country. However January weather in India is not equivalent throughout the country.
Except for the north end of the country, chances of snowfall and very harsh cool climate are very rare. There are numerous warm destinations in the country, if you are looking to get out of very harsh winter climate of the north like, Thanjavur, Mysore, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and so on.
It is quite cool and snowy in the northern and Himalayan destinations. Snowfall is quite common and skiing, snowboarding, ice climbing, frozen lake trekking and other snow and ice activities are quite common during January. If you wish to cover destinations with snow, choose Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and other northern destinations. Are you looking for more winter activities in India?
The central India however is quite warm and cozy. The humidity level will be slightly higher in the central India, than the rest of the country.
This is the right time for wildlife attractions in central India. South India will never reach extreme temperature during winter. You can enjoy pleasingly warm days and mildly cool nights during this month.
The chances of rainfall during January is quite plausible. East India temperature can go as low as -11 degree C and as high as 20 degree C during winter. However, January will be a little pleasing. Extreme winter scenarios are quite common in this region of India.
Also Read : Best Places to Visit in January in India
Temperature in India
|Average high temperature
|81 degree F/ 27 degree C
|Average low temperature
|42 degree F / 5 degree C
|Thin jackets or removable sweater, thick clothing
|Shawl, muffler or thick jacket, woolen clothing
|Effect on tourism
|Peak tourism season
Covering each zone of India Temperature in January
1. North India Temperature in January
- Best Tourist Destinations: Few norther destinations of Rajasthan, Agra, Gulmarg, Manali and others
- Average Temperature: 60 degree F (15 degree C) to 40 degree F (5 degree C) at night; 82 degree F (28 degree C) to 86 degree F (30 degree C) in day.
- Average Precipitation: 0.8 inches average rainfall (average days of rainfall in January is 3)
The climate is fairly cool and pleasing. As the night arrives, chillness starts. This cool temperature can affect transportation to numerous tourist destinations in North India. While winter blocks numerous paths and trekking routes, it also opens snow activities.
North India Travel Guide
- History of North India
- Culture of North India
- Best Time to Visit North India
- Things to do in North India
- What to Eat in North India
- Hill Stations in North India
- Wildlife Safaris in North India
- Honeymoon in North India?
Also See - All India Tour packages
2. South India Temperature in January
- Best tourist destinations: Kovalam, Kochi, Hampi, Kanyakumari, Chettinad and others
- Average temperature: 60 to 68 degree F (15 to 20 degree C) at night more than 77 degree F (25 degree C) in the day.
- Average precipitation: 0.9 to 2 inches (average days of rainfall is two).
It is comfortably cool to visit South India during January. The humidity level is much lower and it is a cool and dry climate, which makes you to travel in comfort to many hidden gems too. The coastal regions will be pleasingly warm and the water current will not be quite strong. Thus, it is a good month for relaxing water activities.
South India Travel Guide
- What To Buy In South India
- Heritage Sites of South India
- Festivals of South India
- Wildlife Safaris in South India
- Beaches of South India
3. West India Temperature in January
- Best tourist destinations: Goa, Kutch, Diu, certain regions of Rajasthan and others.
- Average temperature: 58 degree F to 62 degree F (26 to 30 degree) in the day; lower than 52 degree F (20 degree C) at night.
- Average precipitation: 0 to 0.3 inch of rainfall (Average days with rainfall is one).
Western India has a considerably warmer climate, thanks to the coastal regions of Arabian Sea and Gulf of Kutch. The month has pleasingly warm climate and you can scale the place with just thick clothing. The more you move towards the mainland, the warmer it becomes.
This is the best time for sightseeing. One of the best places to visit in January in Asia is Rajasthan. The best way to enjoy sightseeing is luxury trains. For more details about luxury train, visit Luxury Train Tour India
Top January itineraries to cover with luxury trains are:
- Indian Splendor – Maharajas’ Express - 7 Nights / 8 Days
- Signature itinerary of Palace on Wheels - 7 Nights / 8 Days
4. East India Temperature in January
- Best tourist destinations: Ziro, Itanagar, Tezoyr, Guwahati, Aizawal and others
- Average temperature: 57 to 79 degree F (14 to 26 degree C)
- Average precipitation: around 0.4 inches of rainfall (average days of rainfall in January is one)
January is a dry month in East India. Thus, it is one of the very few months in the calendar with blue skies, making it easier for outdoor activities. Explore the region, enjoy numerous festivals, which are celebrated in January and most importantly, get closer to nature with trekking, hiking, camping and others.
Tips for traveling during January
- North India and Rajasthan are the peak tourism destinations of January. So, make sure to pre-book your amenities to avoid being left out.
- All iconic attractions will have high crowd. Thus, choose hidden gems like Chittorgarh, Araku Valley, Mandawa and others.
- Always wear removable jackets. You will never know when the sun comes out and make you sweat.
- Sea currents are generally lower. This does not mean that you can swim in all waters. Make sure to avoid water activities, when advised.
- Many north Indian destinations will be cut-off without proper transportation. It is better to avoid such destinations.
- January is the winter season, which is considered to be a time of high chances of infections. So, keep all your medicines handy.
Festivals and Fairs of January in India
- Republic day – Jan 26th – watch the commemoration and celebrations at Red Fort and many other historically important monuments in the capitals of each state.
- Enjoy the harvest festival during second week of the month. It is celebrated as Pongal, international kite festival, Sakaranthi and others.
- Take part in the Bikaner camel fair in Rajasthan
- Enjoy Kumbhalgarh festival to experience hot air balloon rides, paragliding, jeep safari, camping and other activities.
- Beginning of January is the right time to enjoy the end of Rann Utsav for camping, adventure activities and shopping
- Enjoy Float Festival of Madurai at Meenakshi Amman temple. You can enjoy numerous types of rituals and cultural activities during this festival.
- Enjoy Sirpur National dance and music festival in January to enjoy folk dance and music performances and other activities.
Get Complete Details about : 30 Major Fairs and Festivals in India in January
During these festivals, you can enjoy many cultural activities, unique rituals in the temples and many interesting day-to-day activities. Do you want to cover more temples?
Also Read- February weather in India
Choose our pilgrimage tour packages like.
- 5 days – South India pilgrimage
- 10 days – Golden triangle with north India temple
- 14 days – Buddhist tour with Nepal and India
Frequently Asked Questions about January Weather in India
A. October to February is the best time to visit India as these are the peak season for travelling and the weather is pleasant and comfortable.
A. November to February is the winter season in India and the best months to visit and explore the best of India.
A. January comes under the winter season in India but the temperature varies according to region as you may find North India and South India different.
A. No. January is a dry month in India and you can find mild rain shower in wet places of India like cherrapunjee, augumbe, amboli etc.
A. January is the best time to visit India and you can visit any place here. The best places to visit in India in January are Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Goa, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Rishikesh, Mumbai, Ooty, Kerala, Coorg and many more.
A. Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal, Ladakh and Uttarakhand are the destinations where you can find snow in India.
Rarely it goes down to 5 Degree C and highest 27 Degree C in a day varies on regions.
A. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Varanasi, Corbett, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur etc.. are the best places to visit in North India in January.
A. Famous Festivals to celebrated in India in January are New Year, Pattadakal Dance, Bikaner Camel Festival, Pongal, Bihu, Republic Day, Rann Utsav, Nagaur Fair, Lohri, Makar Sakranti etc.