Shimla is a famous tourist destination and the summer capital of the country. Owing to its popularity, the government has made it easier to reach Shimla via numerous transportation options from any part of the country.
The closest airport to Shimla is in Chandigarh. The Jubbarhatti Airport is located in Shimla, however, the frequency and operation of flights is quite rare. Thus, people prefer to fly to Chandigarh, which is 113 km away from Shimla. From Chandigarh, you can find numerous road options to reach the hill town. From Chandigarh, the road trip would not take more than 3.5 hours and the route is open throughout the year.
If you are looking for international airport, Delhi holds the closest international airport. From Delhi, Shimla is 8 hours away. Tourists usually enter India via Delhi; find connecting flight to Chandigarh and road route from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Shimla has a narrow gauge station, which receives trains only from Kalka. The closest train station to Shimla is Kalka. The toy train ride from Kalka to Shimla is an iconic tourist attraction and a romantic activity. Kalka train station is 90 km away from Shimla. If you are visiting from far-away state, you can easily find trains from major cities in the country to Chandigarh. From Chandigarh, you can find any transportation to reach Shimla, with ease.
If you are looking for road transportation like buses, cabs, and others from Chandigarh and surrounding regions, you are in for a scenic journey. Shimla can be reached via the Chandigarh-Shimla highway. Private buses, government buses, luxury coaches, and taxis are quite common to Shimla from surrounding regions like Haryana, Jaipur, Delhi, Punjab, and others. It is much easier to find HRTC buses (government buses) to Shimla from anywhere in Himachal Pradesh.
- Distance between Shimla and Chandigarh – 114 km – 3.5 hours
- Distance between Shimla and Delhi – 344 km – 7 hours
- Distance between Shimla and Amritsar – 335 km – 7 hours
- Distance between Shimla and Manali – 247 km – 6 hours and 40 minutes
- Distance between Shimla and Kolkata – 1813 km – More than 24 hours
- Distance between Shimla and Mumbai - 1,764 km – More than 24 hours
- Distance between Shimla and Hyderabad - 1,891 km – 30 hours
- Distance between Shimla and Jaipur – 630 km – 10.5 hours