Best Time to Visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Andaman and Nicobar Islands will be at prime beauty throughout the year. This is due to the fact that the region receives very little fluctuation in the temperature throughout the year. This group of islands contains around 572 islands and the climate at any given month is very similar in all. These islands fall under the tropical belt and thus, they receive more rainfall and are generally warm throughout the year.
In Summer (Apr - June)
Summer starts in April and ends in June. The temperature fluctuates between 24 degrees C and 37 degrees C during summer. Summer is the right time to visit Clique Island, Little Andaman, Port Blair, Havelock Island, Long Island and Diglipur. Summer months are mildly warm and pleasing. This season is the right time for trekking, banana boat ride, surfing, paragliding, scuba diving, snorkeling, and others. Mid of April to mid of May is the warmest time.
In Monsoon (July - Sep)
Monsoon starts in July and ends in September. The temperature ranges between 22 degrees C and 35 degrees C. During this season, the islands receive heavy rainfall. Thus, sea waves and tide strength are unpredictable. Thus, it is best to choose to spend your vacation away from the beaches. You can choose to enjoy cultural activities, nightlife, sightseeing, museum visits, and others. Most of the water sports would be canceled due to harsh weather. However, the islands would be at prime beauty and it is the best time for romantic vacation and photography.
In Winter (Oct - March)
Winter starts in October and ends in March. The temperature varies between 20 degrees C and 30 degrees C. Unlike most of the regions around the world, winter is not the time for cold climate in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. This is the warm season. The temperature would be close to that of the summer season and the place will be very pleasing and lush due to the recent rains from the monsoon. Winter is the right time to enjoy water activities, romantic vacations, and land activities.
Best Season to Visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands
As mentioned before, the islands are at prime beauty throughout the year. However, if you wish to enjoy all the activities, it is better to avoid the monsoon season. The prime tourism season of the islands starts from November and ends in July. For safer and happier travel, here are a few tips regarding the climate of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- If you are looking for cost-cutting, the end of August or the beginning of September is the right time. The islands would be receiving mild to moderate rainfall and the skies would be comparatively clear. Due to the recent rains, the tourism would be dull, which would help you get better deals.
- Scuba diving is open throughout the year. However, if the instructor indicates that it is not the right time for amateurs to dive, please obey.
- If you are looking for exotic water activities like sea walk, it is best to visit during the peak tourism season.
- There is a history of cyclones in Andaman in October and November (Cyclone HudHud, Cyclone Sidr and Cyclone Phailin). Thus, check with the weather reports before you visit during these months.
Month-Wise Temperature And Climate in Andaman and Nicobar Island
|Month||Minimum Temperature In Degree C||Maximum Temperature In Degree C||Rainy Days (Average Number Of Rainy Days/Month)||Hours Of Sunshine|
What to Pack During your Andaman and Nicobar Trip
- Sunglass, sunscreen (even for monsoon vacation), cap or other headcover
- Light clothing, bathing suit (even during winter visit)
- Slippers or open shoes (avoid closed shoes, socks and anything that might retain sand under your sole)
- Raincoat (if visiting in monsoon)
- Insect repellent (if visiting in monsoon)
- Indian currency
- Passport and visa (for non-Indian travelers)
- Hammock or beach mat